The Barnabas Kos Case (Prípad Barnabáš Kos)
Dir: Peter Solan
Czechoslovakia, 1964, Slovak, 92min, DCP, English subtitle
Cast: Josef Kemr, Jarmila Kostova, Milivoj Uzelac
Caught in a web of censorship created in the 1960s Czechoslovak Communist state – which molded his experiences of delayed production and filmic content – Solan treated filmmaking as a study of cases, satirical testimonies balanced between absurdity and despair. Hence, the apparently simple tale of the rise of a man who plays the triangle in the orchestra reveals the structures and contradictions of an entire regime, just like the hulking unfinished structure that haunts the orchestra’s practices.
12.4 (FRI): Introduction by Gabriel M. Paletz (in English)
Absurdistan: The Central and Eastern European Cinema of the Absurd
Buy ticket 12/04/2019 (Fri)
Buy ticket 25/05/2019 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.