The Ballad of Narayama (1958) (Narayama bushiko)
Dir: Kinoshita Keisuke
Japan, 1958, 98min, DCP
Cast: Tanaka Kinuyo, Takahashi Teiji, Mochizuki Yuko
Imamura Shohei’s better-known and prize-winning 1983 vision of The Ballad of Narayama engages us with the intensity of its human dramas in counterpoint to the natural world around it. By contrast, Kinoshita Keisuke’s earlier interpretation of this story creates a completely different world, shaped by the director’s absolute control of a stylized soundstage, its colors, music and actions before its dramatic shift to the mountain landscape where old people are left to die. The film evoked the ambience of Kabuki with theatrical movement, music and color, yet Kinoshita juxtaposes his tightly controlled initial exposition to a wilder, emotive natural scenario where the inevitable ending transpires. Here, Orin (Tanaka Kinuyo), who binds the designed world of theater and naturalistic vision of cinema in a powerful, human experience is not to be missed.
1959 #1 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
1959 Kinema Junpo Awards, Best Film, Best Director and Best Actress
2.9.2018(SUN): Post-screening talk with Long Tin
Full House 02/09/2018 (Sun)
Full House 06/10/2018 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.