The Ball at the Anjo House
Dir: Yoshimura Kozaburo
Japan, 1947, 89 mins, 16mm
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Takizawa Osamu, Mori Masayuki, Aizome Yumeko
In the aftermath of the Pacific war, the doomed aristocratic Anjo family struggle to restore their past glory in the final lavish ball at the mansion before their eviction – the lothario son latches on to a blackmarketeer’s daughter, and the prudish daughter attempts to marry a socially prominent man. Hara Setsuko radiates as the thoughtful, devoted daughter who holds on to her faith and hope for the future, preventing her proud father from taking his life. Based on Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard, this film’s climax tango scene of father and daughter makes it one of Susan Sontag’s favorites.
#1 in 1947 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
11/11/2017 (Sat): Post-screening seminar with Cheng Chuen-wai and Loretta Chang
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.