The Asthenic Syndrome (Astenicheskiy sindrom)
Dir: Kira Muratova
Soviet Union, 1969, Russian, 153min, DCP, English subtitle
Cast: Olga Antonova, Sergei Popov, Galina Zakhurdayeva
Another film censored for telling the truth in a time of crisis surrounding the collapse of the Soviet Union. Muratova’s construction at first hides its truths in the very complexity of dual stories and dual filming (black and white as well as color) from whose very pieces we must build the mosaic. And yet the themes of repression and violence cry out to us from a world where it is hard to distinguish the crazy from the sane.
Berlin International Film Festival: Special Jury Prize
Absurdistan: The Central and Eastern European Cinema of the Absurd
Buy ticket 22/04/2019 (Mon)
Buy ticket 01/05/2019 (Wed)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.