The Age of Innocence
Dir: Martin Scorsese
USA, 1993, 139min, DCP
Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer,Winona Ryder
Listen to what Joanne Woodward narrated: “They all lived in a kind of hieroglyphic world. The real thing was never said or done or even thought, but only represented by a set of arbitrary signs.” It was New York society in the 1870s. Archer was a man who loved the divorced Ellen but chose to marry the virgin May, because it was what the respectable society thought was right. Martin Scorsese is struck by Edith Wharton’s novel about the brutality under the manners, which resembles the world of his Mafia films. In a visual style of lyrical romanticism, Scorsese offers an extraordinarily sumptuous piece of filmmaking, with a sense of loss and resignation – the innocence of love is like a yacht sailing by on a shimmering sea, and never returns.
1994 Academy Awards, Best Costume Design
1994 Golden Globe Awards, Best Supporting Actress
07/05/2017 (Sun): Post-screening talk with Thomas Shin
Tickets available at screening venues on screening date 07/05/2017 (Sun)
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 16/06/2017 (Fri)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.