The Age of Innocence
Dir: Martin Scorsese
USA, 1993, 139min, DCP
Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer,Winona Ryder
Listen to what Joanne Woodward narrated: “They all lived in a kind of hieroglyphic world. The real thing was never said or done or even thought, but only represented by a set of arbitrary signs.” It was New York society in the 1870s. Archer was a man who loved the divorced Ellen but chose to marry the virgin May, because it was what the respectable society thought was right. Martin Scorsese is struck by Edith Wharton’s novel about the brutality under the manners, which resembles the world of his Mafia films. In a visual style of lyrical romanticism, Scorsese offers an extraordinarily sumptuous piece of filmmaking, with a sense of loss and resignation – the innocence of love is like a yacht sailing by on a shimmering sea, and never returns.
1994 Academy Awards, Best Costume Design
1994 Golden Globe Awards, Best Supporting Actress
07/05/2017 (Sun): Post-screening talk with Thomas Shin
Tickets available at screening venues on screening date 07/05/2017 (Sun)
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 16/06/2017 (Fri)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.