That Day, on the Beach (Haitan de Yitian)
1983, Mandarin, 166min, 35mm
Cast: Sylvia Chang, Terry Hu, David Mao
The debut feature-length film of director Edward Yang and cinematographer Christopher Doyle, this epic drama concerns the reunion of two female friends, Chia-Li (Sylvia Chang) and Qing-Qing (Terry Hu), after 13 years of separation. What follows is an intricate series of flashbacks tracing the divergent paths of the two friends, as they weather lifechanging conflicts over family and love. The film transcends the melodrama genre through the use of ground-breaking fractured narrative and lays the groundwork for the New Taiwan Cinema to come.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.