Dir: Billy Wilder
USA, 1950, English, 110min, DCP
Cast: William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Erich von Stroheim
It is hard to imagine modern Hollywood satires like The Player without the precedence of Billy Wilder’s brilliant urtext. Told famously from the posthumous perspective of a down-and-out screenwriter (William Holden), Sunset Boulevard presents Tinseltown through the looking glass of a faded silent movie queen (Gloria Swanson) deluded about making her career comeback. Laced with cynical black humor, the film utilizes noir conventions for a darkly satirical view of the industry. The iconic presence of silent-era legends (Erich von Stroheim, Buster Keaton, Cecil B. DeMille…) adds to the wicked fun.
Academy Awards: Best Writing, Best Art Direction and Set Decoration and Best Music Score
9.2.2018 (SAT): Film talk with Kiki Fung
The Golden Age
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 12/01/2019 (Sat)
Full House 09/02/2019 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.