Summer Wars (Sama uozu)
Dir: Mamoru Hosoda
Japan, 2009, 115min, DCP
Voice Cast: Kamiki Ryunosuke, Sakuraba Nanami, Tanimura Mitsuki, Fuji Sumiko
Getting a “summer job” from his secret crush Natsuki to come to her family’s ancestral home, math genius Kenji unexpectedly becomes a prime suspect in a criminal hack that turns the digital network “Oz” and the real world into chaos. To save the world from destruction, Kenji must join hands with Natsuki’s family to launch a war against a rogue AI. More than extravagant animation of the virtual reality that is over-the-top eccentric and whimsical, emotional nuances of family ties are the true magic spells of Hosoda’s first original anime.
2009 Locarno International Film Festival, In Competition
2010 Japan Academy Film Prize, Best Animation Film
Mirai of the Future The World of Mamoru Hosoda
Full House 15/08/2018 (Wed)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.