Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1956, 91 mins, DCP
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Sano Shuji, Kobayashi Keiju, Kagawa Kyôko
The marriage of Fumiko and Ryotaro seethes with resentment just beneath the surface of an orderly domestic life, filled with daily repetitions and routine conversations. The couple’s conflict is universalized by mirroring it: in their niece who is on the verge of leaving her husband, and in the young couple next door who swap martial complaints with their neighbors. Hara Setsuko gives one of her finest performances as a woman who pursues her onward struggle, despite recognizing the defeat of a passionless marriage. Naruse’s measured exercise in dramatic subversion excels in sustaining tension, heightening the uneasy realization that there’s no easy resolution in marital strife.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.