Steamboat Bill, Jr.
Dir: Charles Reisner
USA, 1928, Silent with Score, 71 mins, DCP
Cast: Buster Keaton, Tom McGuire, Ernest Torrence, Marion Byro
If college made the man in The Freshman, it broke him in Keaton’s classic silent, where the “educated” and lovelorn son disappoints the father who needs him to help in a bitter struggle between rival and steamboat captains. But when a cyclone and flooding hits the town (a cinematic tour de force as well), Bill, Junior, shows his real stuff in a hilarious series of rescues that saves the competing fathers and the girl (of course). Keaton’s last work as an independent filmmaker shows his acrobatic comic style at its peak.
Steamboat Bill, Jr., From 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider (N.Y: Barron’s, 2003)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.