Dir: Itao Itsuji
Japan, 2017, 121min, DCP
Cast: Suda Masaki, Kiritani Kenta, Kimura Fumino
Adapted from the best-selling first novella by comedian Matayoshi Naoki, the story follows the 10-year struggle of two no-name manzai comedians. Taking the mentorship of free-spirited Kamiya, young artist Tokunaga aspires to thrash out his own ideas. Soon did he realize that making people laugh is no joke, and a strong faith in unconventional comedy takes him nowhere. Suda’s award-winning performance turns the unsung hero into an unusual heart-warmer, sparking insights into holding on to dreams against all odds.
2017 Kinema Junpo Awards, Best Actor
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.