Sound of the Mountain (Yama no Oto)
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1954, Japanese, 95min, DCP, English subtitle
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Yamamura So, Uehara Ken, Nagaoka Teruko
Reflective of Kawabata’s view of heartless matrimony and his concern with mortality, Naruse’s adaptation – one of his personal favorites – takes on the perspective of the aging patriarch, charting his growing affection with his daughter-in-law (Hara Setsuko), a victim of her husband’s philandering. Designing the main set to resemble Kawabata’s own house, Naruse meticulously carves the ambience, possessing the emotional turmoil, suppressed romance and hidden sufferings in a measured pace and a melancholic, lyrical overtone, leaving life’s unrelenting misfortunes in the echoes of the mountain.
#6 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.