Sound of the Mountain (Yama no Oto)
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1954, Japanese, 95min, DCP, English subtitle
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Yamamura So, Uehara Ken, Nagaoka Teruko
Reflective of Kawabata’s view of heartless matrimony and his concern with mortality, Naruse’s adaptation – one of his personal favorites – takes on the perspective of the aging patriarch, charting his growing affection with his daughter-in-law (Hara Setsuko), a victim of her husband’s philandering. Designing the main set to resemble Kawabata’s own house, Naruse meticulously carves the ambience, possessing the emotional turmoil, suppressed romance and hidden sufferings in a measured pace and a melancholic, lyrical overtone, leaving life’s unrelenting misfortunes in the echoes of the mountain.
#6 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.