Some Like it Hot
Dir: Billy Wilder
USA, 1959, 121 mins, DCP
Cast: Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Marilyn Monroe
Hailed as the funniest American picture of the 20th century, Wilder’s clever and farcical comedy of inspiration and meticulous craft is one of the enduring treasures of movie history. Curtis and Lemmon play Chicago musicians who masquerade as women to escape from mafia gangsters after witnessing the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. Curtis disguises himself as a tycoon to win Monroe who dreams of marrying a millionaire; Lemmon, in turn, is proposed by a real wealthy blockhead. Wilder’s sense of humor is as broad as it can be sophisticated, and Monroe, with that combination of sex appeal and naive quality, who can ever resist?
#1 in American Film Institute’s “100 Years…100 Laughs” (2000)
Some Like it Hot, From 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider (N.Y: Barron’s, 2003)
Some Like it Hot, From “Defining Moments in Movies – The Greatest Films, Stars, Scenes, and Events that Made Movie Magic” (NY, 2007)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.