Snow Country (Yukiguni)
Dir: Toyoda Shiro
Japan, 1957, Japanese, 135min, 35mm, English subtitle
Cast: Kishi Keiko, Ikebe Ryo, Yachigusa Kaoru
“The train came out of the long tunnel into the snow country.” Evoking the magic of the moving image in the novel’s opening sequence, Kawabata conceives a quietly devastating tale of an entangled love affair between a Tokyo dilettante and a beautiful geisha in a snowbound town. Adding dramatic and aesthetic intensity to Kawabata’s symbolism in his masterpiece, Toyoda pivots his camera on the geisha Komako, as she becomes embroiled in conflicts through shifting relations with her lover, her ailing husband and the charming young lady who adores him, and is eventually forsaken to face her lonely destiny.
Kinema Junpo Awards: Best Screenplay
Cannes Film Festival
11.5 (SAT): Film Talk with Fiona Law
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.