Signs of Life (Lebenszeichen)
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1968, 87 mins, DCP
Cast: Peter Brogle, Wolfgang Reichmann, Athina Zacharopoulou
Stroszek, a wounded German soldier in WWII, is sent for an “easier” job to guard an old fortress on a remote Greek island along with two comrades. Desolate landscapes and rhythm of monotony takes over Stroszek, and a field of uncountable windmills whirling endlessly eventually kindles his firework of madness, staging the staggering spectacle of unhinged frenzy. Herzog’s debut feature looks at the sheer terror of banality of everyday life that turns a sane man into a maniac. It is a war movie, wherein a soldier revolts against his own existence.
1968 Berlin International Film Festival, Silver Bear Extraordinary Prize of the Jury
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.