Shed Skin Papa
Dir: Roy Szeto
2016, Cantonese, 102 mins, DCP
Cast: Francis Ng, Louis Koo, Jessie Li, Jacky Cai, Kristal Tin
Francis Ng earned a Hong Kong Film Award nomination for his versatile, delightful performance in Roy Szeto’s directorial debut. Adapted from the award-winning theater production Shed Skin, in turn based on a play by Tsukuda Norihiko, this comedy-drama-fantasy explores themes of reconciliation and rebirth through an imaginative father-son relationship. A failing filmmaker experiencing marital troubles, Lik-hang (Louis Koo) receives the responsibility of caring for his Alzheimer’s-suffering father, Yat-hung (Francis Ng). But Yathung begins moulting, shedding a layer of skin daily and becoming a younger man in the process! As one’s life nears its natural end, perhaps another can regain its balance and begin anew.
2016 Tokyo International Film Festival, In Competition
16/8/2017 (Wed): Post-screening discussion with director Roy Szeto
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.