Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1968, 103min, DCP
Cast: Liv Ullmann, Max von Sydow, Gunnar Bjornstrand, Birgitta Valberg
Stepping out of the struggle with inner demons, Bergman challenges the war-torn world outside. Fleeing from battles, a musician couple (Max von Sydow and Liv Ullmann) cling to pastoral refuge on a remote island. Yet conflicts have silently made way into their lives, forcing them into ethical dilemmas and a horrifying world of betrayal and despair. Bergman’s striking yet subtly orchestrated compositions and manipulation of tempo capture a realistic, desolate portrait of the tormenting world. In the end, the shameful souls are stuck in their escape. Nothing left. Not even memory.
1969 USA National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Film and Best Actress
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.