Dir: David Fincher
USA, 1995, 127 mins, 35mm
Cast: Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Pattrow
It rains day after day. They investigate death after death. A soon-to-retire detective is partnered with a hotheaded newcomer in a desperate effort to stop an ingenious serial killer who intends every murder to punish one of the Seven Deadly Sins. As the cops caught their foe, his master plan comes to a shocking revelation. David Fincher’s intensely claustrophobic, gut-wrenching thriller is a look at city-wide moral corruption, and an examination of fear and dread, driving audience to a headlong dive into the depths of hell and a slow, careful build to its powerful yet haunting conclusion. The “What’s in the Box” ending has become one of the greatest MacGuffin in cinema history. As Fincher said, “sin is not modern.” It’s timeless.
1997 Blue Ribbon Awards, Best Foreign Language Film
27/1/2018 (Sat): Post-screening talk with Bobby Kwok
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.