Scattered Clouds (Midaregumo)
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1967, 108min, DCP
Cast: Kayama Yuzo, Tsukasa Yoko, Kusabue Mitsuko
Made two years before Naruse’s death, Scattered Clouds is a wistful tale of lives entwined by fate and coincidence. Young widow Yumiko (Tsukasa Yoko) returns to her home town to eke out a living. Exonerated, Shiro (Kayama Yuzo) – the repentant man who killed Yumiko’s husband in a traffic accident – is transferred to a minor post in the same town. Despite their mutual reluctance, the two gradually fall in love, while the painful past looms over their relationship… Showing characters isolated in muted surroundings, Naruse’s final film eloquently reveals his clear-eyed view of human unhappiness.
1967 #4 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
14.12.2018 (FRI): Lecture with Lau Yam
Conducted in Cantonese
Package Discount for “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering”
– 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets to ALL 6 sessions, and get a free copy of Naruse Mikio, 110th Anniversary catalogue*; or
– 20% discount to each purchase of 2 or above standard tickets to difference sessions.
* Audience MUST present ALL 6 original tickets of “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering” screenings for the catalogue redemption on-site 30 minutes prior to the screening.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.