Samurai Assassin (Samurai)
Dir: Okamoto Kihachi
Japan, 1965, 122min, 35mm
Cast: Mifune Toshiro, Kobayashi Keiju, Aratama Michiyo
In a fictionalization of an event leading up to the Sakurada Gate Incident in 1860, Mifune Toshiro plays a roguish ronin, Tsuruchiyo, who is recruited by a group of assassins to carry out a murder of the Shogun. Obsessed with proving his worth as a potential samurai, he beheads the Shogun in a ferocious rage, unknown to what the fate has in store for him. Director Okamoto orchestrates a horrifying massacre against eerie blanket of all-enveloping snow, leaving behind remorse as his disillusioned antihero disappears into the distance.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.