Dir: Mohsen Makhmalbaf
Iran, 1995, 75 mins, 35mm
Cast: Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Azadeh Zangeneh, Maryam Keihan
Director Mohsen Makhmalbaf is going to make a film celebrating the centenary of cinema. Five thousand people from all walks of life show up for the audition, which turns out to be a documentary of a compilation of episodes from the screen tests. Men and women cry and laugh before the camera under the director’s instructions and manipulations, and gradually it becomes impossible to tell where a performance begins and where it ends. Deliberately obfuscating the real and the staged, Makhmalbaf takes the audience to a psychological experimentation, challenging documentary’s notions on truth and reality.
20/8/2017 (Sun): Post-screening discussion with director Mohsen Makhmalbaf
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.