Dir: Lucian Pintilie
Romania, 1968, Romanian, 100min, English subtitle
Cast: George Constantin, Emil Botta, George Mihaita
Long before post-revolutionary Romanian cinema swept the film world, filmmakers struggled to turn any breath of reform into possibilities to critique the state, often through the absurdity of its own practices. Pintilie took an actual case he had witnessed in his own town – where two rowdy schoolboys are forced to restage their drunken brawl repeatedly as a lesson to others – and turned it into a metaphor of domination and humiliation that even the censors eventually caught on to.
14.4 (SUN): Film talk by Gabriel M. Paletz (in English)
Absurdistan: The Central and Eastern European Cinema of the Absurd
Buy ticket 14/04/2019 (Sun)
Buy ticket 12/05/2019 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.