Redoubtable (Le Redoubtable)
Dir: Michel Hazanavicius
France, 2017, 107 mins, DCP
Cast: Louis Garrel, Stacy Martin, Bérénice Bejo
A biopic? About Jean-Luc Godard’s love life? Not quite. Yes, the film is based on his young wife Anne Wiazemsky’s memoir One Year Later, but Oscar-winning-director Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist) aims higher than a failed marriage story. Focusing on France’s civil unrest during May 1968, the film asserts a playful attitude in depicting the drastic change of the French New Wave pioneer towards a revolutionary political approach. Naturally, the film is no short of Godardian pastiche and in-jokes, on top of visual and stylistic homages to the great maestro, with a glimpse of La Chinoise and Wind from the East. Yet, Godard finds no reason to smile.
2017 Cannes Film Festival, In Competition
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.