Red Beard (Akahige)
Dir: Kurosawa Akira
Japan, 1965, 185min, 35mm
Cast: Mifune Toshiro, Kayama Yuzo, Ryu Chishu
The last collaboration between Kurosawa Akira and Mifune Toshiro, who won his second Best Actor Award at Venice Film Festival with his magnificent performance as Red Beard. The story follows an ambitious young doctor Yasumoto (Kayama Yuzo) who unwillingly interns in a humble village clinic treating the poor. As he follows the autocratic yet selfless director around, he learns what being a doctor really means. Mifune invests Red Beard with a perfect blend of gruff inscrutability and delicate kindness, which, perhaps, is Kurosawa’s clearest statement of humanism.
1965 Venice Film Festival, Best Actor and OCIC Award
#1 in 1965 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.