Rebel Without a Cause
Dir: Nicholas Ray
USA, 1955, English, 111min, DCP
Cast: James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo
While many remember Rebel Without a Cause for James Dean – alternately cool and anguished as an adolescent outsider struggling for authenticity in a world of phonies – the film also showcases Ray as an auteur: From its expressionist use of color to the angular intensity of its knife fights, “chickie runs” and repressive domestic spaces, this is Ray’s harrowing vision of 1950s suburban America as a purgatory cruel to misfits like Dean or the sensitive Plato, where the utopian retreat of an abandoned mansion or even a glimpse of the cosmos cannot forestall tragedy.
Golden Globe Awards: Most Promising Newcomer – Female
7.6.2019 (FRI): Film talk with Ernest Chan
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.