Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
USA, 1940, 130min, DCP
Cast: Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders, Judith Anderson
How can love survive in a dark prison of memories, where a beautiful and mysterious dead woman still dominates the twisted lives at Manderley? Hitchcock found powerful material in Daphne du Maurier’s classic gothic novel and transmuted it into chilling elegance with the innocent Joan Fontaine, the enigmatic Laurence Olivier and the superbly frigid Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers. Like other Hitchcock films, a work whose art and artifice reward us anew in every viewing, where our own anticipations and memories converge with this powerfully haunted world.
1941 Academy Awards, Best Picture and Best Cinematography (Black-and-white)
Alfred Hitchcock – The American Years : The Dangerous Lover
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.