Dir: Kurosawa Akira
Japan, 1950, 88min
Cast: Mifune Toshiro, Kyo Machiko, Mori Masayuki
Questioning the nature of truth in an “involuted, elliptical style” (Donald Richie, 1987), Kurosawa Akira’s classic film on multiple perspectives and unreliable narrators is as provocative and inspired as ever in a 4K new restoration. A dreadful crime happened in a lush grove near medieval Kyoto, and four contradicting stories describe how and why. A bandit (Mifune Toshiro), a woman (Kyo Machiko), her dead husband (Mori Masayuki) and a woodcutter (Shimura Takashi) testify (and sometimes recant) their accusatorytales of theft, rape and murder – each offering an intriguing descent into the depths of both human virtue and self-interest. Using multiple cameras and mirrors, renowned cinematographer Miyagawa Kazuo not only redefined the geographies of cinematic narrative space, but also helped Kurosawa evoke the sensual textures reminiscent of silent cinema.
1951 Venice Film Festival, Golden Lion Best Film
1952 Academy Awards, Honorary Award
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.