Dir: Ken Loach
UK, 1993, 90 mins, DCP
Cast: Bruce Jones, Julie Brown, Ricky Tomlinson
Ken Loach fashions another hard-hitting tale about the school of hard knocks, but never forgets a sense of humor even in the most desperate situation. Bob Williams is on the dole. Out of work but is determined to buy his daughter a new dress for her first communion, he becomes embroiled in whatever ill-conceived scam is on offer, from rustling sheep to cleaning drains. Then his van gets stolen and the loan sharks knock on the door. How on earth is he going to deal with it? No worries, with Loach, people are hanging on but in their spirits they are undefeated.
1993 Cannes Film Festival, Jury Prize
Raining Stones, From Loach on Loach by Ken Loach and edited by Graham Fuller (London: Faber and Faber, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.