Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1959, 76min, DCP
Cast: Martin LaSalle, Marika Green, Jean Pélégri
Bresson explores Dostoevsky but alters Crime and Punishment nonetheless while probing depths of love and agony. Michel, a minor pickpocket, lives a life of bad choices that also hurt those around him – his loving mother or the faithful Jeanne. While police cannot quite hold onto him, his life is tied to them by every petty crime and temptation, even when he leaves France completely. What will it mean to return? And what will it take for Michel to be redeemed? Celebrated filmmaker Paul Schrader has said that Pickpocket is “as close to perfect as there can be.”
Filmmakers on Bresson – Louis Malle, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Filmmakers on Bresson – Paul Schrader, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.