Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1966, 82min, DCP
Cast: Bibi Andersson, Liv Ullmann
A penetrating, dreamlike work of profound psychological depth, Bergman’s superlative visual poetry in merging the beautiful and enigmatic faces of Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullmann has become one of the most unforgettable images in cinema. In a metaphysical tango and antithesis between a stage actor who has inexplicably gone mute and her garrulous nurse, the duo undergoes a change in symbiotic relations and a mysterious spiritual transference. Bergman’s consummate masterpiece touching wordless secrets that only his cinema can discover.
1968 National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress
1972 #5 in Sight & Sound’s Greatest Films of All Time
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.