Dir: Nicholas Ray
USA, 1958, English, 99min, 35mm
Cast: Robert Taylor, Cyd Charisse, Lee J. Cobb
Ray’s sumptuous Metrocolor noir, playing with tropes of 1930s Chicago while still grappling with core themes of outsider, love, and redemption through the shifting terrains linking law and order and the urban underworld. Reinventing the gangster story through impressive performances from Robert Taylor as the limping mob lawyer and Cyd Charisse as the chorus girl whose songs transform him – yes, there are musical numbers – the film offers interesting perspectives on more familiar Ray themes. A swan song for both stars at MGM, as Ray begins his quest in Europe.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.