Dir: Franklin J. Schaffner
France/USA, 1973, 146min, 35mm
Cast: Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, Victor Jory
More than half a century after it was finally closed, “Devil’s Island” and the penal colony of French Guiana still conjure indelible images of dire crime and the harshest punishments, exacerbated by tortures, jungles, plagues, and betrayals. This classic interpretation of what appears to be an autobiographical novel by Henri Charrière pairs an unstoppable Steve McQueen in the title role with a wondrously complicated companion, played by Dustin Hoffman. A symphonic rhythm of escapes, recaptures and new attempts that becomes a timeless saga of resilience and hope.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.