Out 1: Spectre
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1972, French, 253min, DCP
Cast: Jean-Pierre Léaud, Juliet Berto, Hermine Karagheuz
Rivette’s legendary thirteen-hour film serial Out 1: Noli Me Tangere was relatively swiftly composed from over thirty hours of footage; his shortened version, Out 1: Spectre, took almost a year to edit. While the overall premise still revolves around an ensemble of characters spurred into play by a complicit conspiracy – some characters are involved in theatre, some are playing versions of others in offstage life, and others are part of a secret group whose alleged dangerous existence is hinted via its cryptic messages – Rivette arguably pushed the boundaries of truth even further in Spectre , subverting narrative conventions with challenging pairings, invented/imagined outcomes, and meandering pathways most akin to the most rewarding manifestations of, as film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum relates it to, free jazz.
Package Discount: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of both Out 1: Spectre and La Belle
The Labyrinth of Mystery – Jacques Rivette
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.