Only Yesterday (Omohide poro poro)
Dir: Isao Takahata
Japan, 1991, 118min, DCP
Breathtakingly beautiful and quietly, yet devastatingly moving, this delicate story of a 27-year-old woman’s journey back to her adolescence creates visual metaphors for feelings to come to life. A vacation back to her home in the countryside triggers a series of childhood memories – her puberty, loneliness and yearnings – interwoven with her current bittersweet life. In dreamlike flights of fancy, she is released from selfrepression and finds inner strength to reconcile with herself. Beyond its veneer of gentle nostalgia, Takahata’s artistry transcends the mnemonic journey into a passionate lyricism of self-realization.
©1991 Hotaru Okamoto – Yuko Tone – GNH
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.