Old Boy (Oldeu Boi)
Dir: Park Chan-wook
South Korea, 2003, 120min, DCP
Cast: Choi Min-sik, Yoo Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
When is a prison not a prison? Park Chan-wook’s violent and twisting tale situates its hero in confinement where he is not aware of the crime nor punishment so much as the separation, the exile. Yet, when no longer surrounded by comfortable walls is he still surrounded and imprisoned by deceptions, lies and secrets with mortal cost? And does freedom finally come for him and for those who torment with memory or forgetting, death or life?
2004 Cannes Film Festival, Grand Prize of the Jury
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.