Dir: Sergei Eisenstein, Grigori Aleksandrov
Soviet Union, 1928, Silent with Score, 101 mins, DCP
Cast: Boris Livanov, Nikolay Popov
Another work commissioned for the 10th anniversary of the October Revolution; Eisenstein’s vision of these events, including the storming of the Winter Palace, has become the historical materials of subsequent generations. While this commission recognized the impact of Eisenstein’s Battleship Potemkin, some critics at the time found the film too formalist and theoretical to connect with the masses. A century after the events and 90 years after the birth of the film, how do we separate images and events when the former have such power?
October, From 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider (N.Y: Barron’s, 2003)
October, From Masters of the Soviet Cinema: Crippled Creative Biographies by Herbert Marshall (London ; Boston : Routledge & K. Paul, 1983.)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.