Nick’s Film: Lightning Over Water
Dir: Nicholas Ray, Wim Wenders
West Germany / Sweden, 1980, English, 90min, Digital
“The final elegiac duet of two master filmmakers of the 20th century. An ardent admirer of Ray, Wim Wenders’ collaboration with the maestro began when he cast him as a gangster in The American Friend (1977), and ended with this swan song about Ray’s final months as he died of cancer, though Ray’s original intent was to make a fiction film about a dying painter. Despite the imminent loss shadowing the film, Ray’s spirit and creativity shine through his lectures and conversations about the medium he loved, while friends and colleagues say goodbye.
German Film Awards: Outstanding Feature Film “
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.