Dir: Jim Jarmusch
USA / Japan, 1989, English, Japanese, Italian, 110min, DCP
Cast: Nagase Masatoshi, Kudoh Youki, Screamin' Jay Hawkins
On a strange day in Memphis, through the door of a dingy hotel filled with portraits of Elvis, a group of wanderers bunk together by chance: a feuding Japanese couple on a rock and roll odyssey, an Italian widow picking up her husband’s coffin, and a Brit drunkenly brandishing a gun in a bar. A radio rendition of Elvis’ Blue Moon and a gunshot next door are the only links for their stories, haunting in isolation. With Müller’s eerie blues hanging over empty streets, Jarmusch quietly observes the lost souls departing from Graceland in mystery trains.
Cannes Film Festival: Best Artistic Contribution
30.6.2019 (SUN): Film talk with Cheng Yu-shing
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.