My Night at Maud’s (Ma nuit chez Maud)
Dir: Eric Rohmer
France, 1969, French, 110min, DCP, English subtitles
Cast: Jean-Louis Trintignant, Françoise Fabian, Marie-Christine Barrault
The title My Night at Maud’s promises a first-person account: an introverted Catholic engineer (who else but Jean-Louis Trintignant?) recounts his interactions with a timid churchgoer he hopes to marry and a sexy, freethinking divorcee on whose bed he has slept – nothing really happens on that night, but underneath is a microscopic examination of attitudes, values and moral choices exchanged through subtle gestures and expressions. One of Rohmer’s most popular and biggest critical successes – a luminous, erotic and unerringly witty meditation on romantic and religious (in-)decisions.
French Syndicate of Cinema Critics: Best Film
6.1.2019 (SUN): Seminar with Bryan Chang and Kiki Fung
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.