My Neighbors the Yamadas (Hôhokekyo tonari no Yamada-kun)
Dir: Isao Takahata
Japan, 1999, 104min, DCP
Best described as “scenes from a family” (to borrow from Bergman), yet Takahata’s animated feature is far funnier and more heartwarming. In his bold narrative experiment structured in the style of haiku, the innovator explores and celebrates mundane life through a series of vignettes of the Yamada family – from the father asserting himself as the man of the house, to the children hiding their dirty socks under the table. Its formless structure, crude sketches and pure aesthetic distill images to their essence, depicting a realized portrait of a family that may be our own.
© 1999 Hisaichi Ishii – Hatake Jimusho – GNHB
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.