Dir: Robert Bresson
France/Switzerland, 1983, 87min, DCP
Cast: Christian Patey, Béatrice Tabourin, Didier Baussy, Vincent Risterucci
Bresson’s characteristic austerity is distilled into its purest form in his final masterpiece, Money. It’s a film that France loves to hate, where a mature Bresson took on avarice and capital, head to head. As forged notes circulate painfully across players and families, the consequences mount, finally bringing the gas man, Yvon, to the brink of destruction. Yet, is it possible that he, too, will find redemption within destruction, including his own murderous impulses? This powerful encounter of Bresson and Tolstoy won him the Best Director accolades at Cannes.
1983 Cannes Film Festival, Best Director
Filmmakers on Bresson_Atom Egoyan, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Filmmakers on Bresson_Olivier Assayas, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.