Mifune: The Last Samurai
Dir: Steven Okazaki
Japan, 2015, 80min, DCP
“A lot of people have tried to imitate Mifune, but nobody can,” Steven Spielberg said. Mifune Toshiro, the legendary Japanese star renowned for his iconic samurai roles, has cast a huge influence on film history. Oscar winner Steven Okazaki offers a thoughtful examination of his life, with rare archival footage and through his fascinating collaborations with virtuoso director Kurosawa Akira. Co-star actresses Tsukasa Yoko and Kagawa Kyoko offer vivid memories of working with the gifted actor. Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese pay their tribute, with Keanu Reeves as the narrator.
Post-screening seminar with Cheng Chuen-wai and Li Cheuk-to
The Flamboyant Masculinity of Mifune Toshiro
Free Admission 08/07/2017 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.