Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1981, 160min, DCP
Cast: Maria Schneider, Joe Dallesandro
Upon his recovery from a nervous breakdown, Rivette made another instalment in his Scènes de la vie parallèle about two people who had to get to know each other because the person who brought them together became missing. The result is a meandering tale of mystery and intrigue filled with some of the most bewildering and beautifully-composed alternate reality sequences in Rivette’s work. Léo (Maria Schneider) and Ben (Joe Dallesandro) go on a search for missing Elisabeth (her sister, his girlfriend) as the latter was kidnapped while selling her father’s estate. “I like a film to be an adventure,” said Rivette. “I only hope that the finished film… keeps something of the dangers… of its uncertainties, of its unclouded moments – even if, at the end, one notices that perhaps the voyage has been circular: like a ‘merry-go-round’”.
Package Discount: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of both Merry-Go-Round and The Story of Marie and Julien
The Labyrinth of Mystery Jacques Rivette
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.