Dir: Edward Yang
1996, Mandarin, 119 mins, 35mm
Cast: Ko Yu-Lun, Virginie Ledoyen, Chang Chen, Tang Tsung-Sheng, Wang Chi-Tsan
When businessman Winston Chen goes missing with an outstanding $100 million debt to local gangsters, everyone starts looking for him. Chen’s son, the small-time punk Red Fish (Tang Tsung-Sheng), traces his father – not knowing that two older tough guys are trailing him. Soon Red Fish’s ragtag gang meets an assortment of odd foreigners (including a French beauty played by Virginie Ledoyen), and plot twists that defy triad movie conventions. Featuring Chang Chen as a suave gigolo no woman can resist.
Lecture: approximately 1 hour. Conducted in Cantonese.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.