Love on the Ground (L'amour par terre)
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1984, 125min, 35mm
Cast: Jane Birkin, Geraldine Chaplin, André Dussollier, Jean-Pierre Kalfon
An enigmatic film that some see as the missing link in Rivette’s complex filmography. Tightly structured yet accessible, here the master director toys with the theme of a play within a play while adding on new layers and mirrors. At the center are two lovely amateur actresses, played by Geraldine Chaplin, who had already worked with Rivette and Jane Birkin, who would incarnate La Belle Noiseuse years later. While we first meet them in a production in an apartment, a mysterious playwright (Jean-Pierre Kalfon, L’Amour Fou) lures them to his mansion for a work in progress. That may also refer to things that happened there, or visions that the women begin to have…
1965 Venice Film Festival, In Competition
Post-screening talk with William Lau
Special Discount: Enjoy 30% discount on Love on the Ground standard tickets, by presenting Out 1 tickets (HKIFF41) at URBTIX Outlets.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.