Love on the Ground (L'amour par terre)
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1984, 174min, 35mm
Cast: Jane Birkin, Geraldine Chaplin, André Dussollier, Jean-Pierre Kalfon
An enigmatic film that some see as the missing link in Rivette’s complex filmography. Tightly structured yet accessible, here the master director toys with the theme of a play within a play while adding on new layers and mirrors. At the center are two lovely amateur actresses, played by Geraldine Chaplin, who had already worked with Rivette and Jane Birkin, who would incarnate La Belle Noiseuse years later. While we first meet them in a production in an apartment, a mysterious playwright (Jean-Pierre Kalfon, L’Amour Fou) lures them to his mansion for a work in progress. That may also refer to things that happened there, or visions that the women begin to have…
1965 Venice Film Festival, In Competition
Post-screening talk with William Lau
Special Discount: Enjoy 30% discount on Love on the Ground standard tickets, by presenting Out 1 tickets (HKIFF41) at URBTIX Outlets.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.