Love and Death
Dir: Woody Allen
USA, 1975, 82 mins, 35mm
Cast: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Georges Adet
“There are worse things in life than death. I mean, if you’ve ever spent an evening with an insurance salesman?” Woody Allen challenges Dostoyevsky with the most serious philosophical question in this witty comedy. Boris, a coward who is forced to enlist in the Russian Army, has a few close encounters with death, literally face to face with Ingmar Bergman’s Grim Reaper. Failing to kill Napoleon as persuaded by his beloved wife, he faces execution but is pardoned by God. Much like War and Peace, though Tolstoy couldn’t possibly explore life and existence in such over the top humor and absurdity.
1975 Berlin Film Festival, Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution (UNICRIT Award)
19/8/2017(Sat): Post-screening talk with Geoffrey Wong
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.