Dir: Jacques Becker
France, 1960, 131min, DCP
Cast: Michel Constantin, Jean Keraudy, Philippe Leroy
Escape. The only possibility, the only dream for French prisoners facing life sentences. But what happens when a new prisoner, Gaspard, is placed in a shared cell and upsets the dynamics of a group’s carefully planned strategy? A genre film based on real events (even featuring one of the real participants, Jean Keraudy, to play himself), director Jacques Becker’s final work distills the moral and cinematic issues of the prison film in an unforgettable ensemble piece.
1960 Cannes Film Festival, In Competition
1961 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics, Best Film
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.