Dir: Ozu Yasujiro
Japan, 1949, 108 mins, DCP
Cast: Ryu Chishu, Hara Setsuko, Sugimura Haruko, Tsukioka Yumeji
Hara Setsuko makes her debut in an Ozu film, the first of many legendary father-daughter pairings with Ryu Chishu. Set in historic Kamakura, Noriko opposes any idea of marriage and wants to stay with her widowed father. For his daughter’s future, he lies about remarrying. A story of heartbreaking beauty and poignancy, it is about the ties of love, devotion and sacrifice that bind and eventually sever the intimate father-daughter relationship, bringing remorse rather than happiness. The master’s own favorite film, leaving behind a sadness lingering on Hara’s bitter smile in her wedding dress, and Ryu’s long apple peel in his wrinkled hands.
#1 in 1949 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
#15 in Sight & Sound’s 2012 Greatest Films of All Time Poll
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.