Dir: Ozu Yasujiro
Japan, 1960, 128 mins, DCP
Cast: Hara Setsuko, Tsukasa Yoko, Saburi Shin, Okada Mariko, Ryu Chishu
A poignant connection that movingly speaks to the passing of time, Hara Setsuko, the daughter in Late Spring who once gave up her marriage to stand by her widowed father, has become the widow with a daughter facing the same dilemma in Late Autumn. Three friends of the deceased husband intervene in bumbling fashion to make matches for the daughter, then for the mother, leading to misunderstandings and frustration. In Ozu’s masterpiece of tenderness and serio-comic charm, a generation in transition is put under his realist cine-kabuki, gently sculpturing the contradictions in observing the old traditions and embracing the new life.
#5 in 1960 Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.