Dir: Jean Vigo
France, 1934, 89 mins, DCP
On its surface, a simple film as mellow and dreamy as the river Seine, where we, too, ride along with a young couple on their voyage of discovery, loss and reunion. Yet, each time we see it, we see something new – the complexity and social vision that contrasts the safe, cluttered cabin where Juliette first escapes her rural isolation, and the Paris of dreams and heartbreak to which she flees. Wondrous play with sounds – the dialogue exploring connections with images in these early days of sound and the marvelous music that steers the plot. Inspired acting in key roles that transport us to the dream world of myth, yet keep the film in our hearts as a story of young love, crisis and renewal.
#12 in Sight & Sound’s 2012 Greatest Films of All Time Poll
16/12/2017 (Sat): Post-screening talk with Ernest Chan
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.